At a Glance
Click below to learn more about our program, structure and community.
Evergreen serves students age 2 to third grade (9 years old) in three programs:
- Toddlers, age 2 to 3 years
- Primary, age 3 to 6 years (pre-K through Kindergarten)
- Elementary, age 6 to 9 (first through third grade)
School Size, Tenure and Demographics
- Enrollment: 94 students
- Average Class Size: 14 students
- Student-Teacher Ratio: 6:1
- Average Teacher Experience: 11 years
- 66% of Evergreen students identify as students of color, including African American, Asian American, Latino American, Middle Eastern American, and Multiracial American
- Percentage of Families from outside the US: 18%
- Students come from 19 different zip codes in Maryland and DC
Evergreen parents come from over 20 countries including:
Ethiopia, Italy, Tanzania, India, Argentina, Trinidad, Germany, Tajikistan, El Salvador, Vietnam, Chile, Sweden, Nigeria, Cape Verde, Ireland, Cuba, China, Jamaica, Ireland and the US (including Puerto Rico). And parents were born in other countries including Zambia and Belize.
Evergreen families are Muslim, Hindu, Christian, Roman Catholic, Unitarian, Jewish, Buddhist, Sikh, Jehovah’s Witness, and Atheist.
Evergreen families speak English, Spanish, Hindi, Amharic, Punjabi, Yoruba, Cantonese, Mandarin, Swahili, German, Tajiki, Vietnamese, Tamil and Swedish.
Accreditation and Memberships
Memberships and Accreditation
Evergreen is dual-accredited by both the Association of Independent Maryland Schools (AIMS) and the American Montessori Society (AMS), and is a member of the Association of Independent Schools of Greater Washington (AISGW).
Evergreen adheres to AISGW recommendations for admission acceptance timelines.
Programs and Hours
- Toddlers (Age 2 to 3)
- Primary (Age 3 to 6)
- Elementary (Grades 1-3)
- Extended Day and Enrichment
- Summer Programs
- Half-Day Program: 8:30 am – Noon
- Full-Day Program: 8:30 am– 3:15 pm
- Extended Day: 3:00 pm – 4:30
Legal Status and Founding
Evergreen was founded as Cor Jesu Montessori in 1964.
Now, Evergreen School, Inc is a non-profit, educational institution recognized as tax-exempt by the IRS under Section 501(c)(3). Donations to the school may be tax deductable.
Last year, donors including parents, alumni parents, grandparents and friends contributed over $42,000 to support financial aid, teachers' professional development, and other enhancements to our programs.
The For’Ever Fund is Evergreen’s highest priority for annual giving. Tax-deductible contributions support the school’s current programs and operations.
Your gift will support the programs that directly benefit our students. It will enable us to enhance our academic offerings, support our teachers’ professional development, maintain our commitment to financial aid and support green initiatives. Gifts are unrestricted and go to the operating budget to help where they are most needed. As Evergreen School is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, your donation is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by tax laws. Consult your tax advisor for details.
Donations can be made online by visiting https://tinyurl.com/foreverfund.
Location and Facility
Located between Silver Spring, Kensington and Wheaton in the historic Hughes Church, our facilities meet the needs of our students with ample space for all of our programs. We are 0.6 miles from the Wheaton Metro Station (an 11 minute walk). Facilities include:
- One toddler, four primary, and one elementary classroom
- 4,600 sq. ft. gymnasium
- Music, art, library and Spanish rooms
- 10,000 sq. ft. Playgarden and outdoor play area
Evergreen admits students of any race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion and national or ethnic origin. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, financial aid programs or other school-administered programs.
- Evergreen uses it's 2017 Thomas A-Type Activity bus for all field trips. The bus is equipped with five-point harnesses for student use. It is air conditioned.
Calendar and Special Events
Evergreen schedules 173 school days and two festival days (Fall Festival and Spring Festival) each year.
Special events, celebrations and other milestones take place each year including:
- New Parent Orientation
- Parent Assoication Fall Meeting/Pizza on the Playgarden
- Fall Festival
- Back-to-School Night
- International Day
- Parent Classroom Observations and Conferences
- Winter Festival
- Winter Break
- Esteemed Elders' Day
- Spring Festival
- Step Up and Graduation
- Cicle Celebration
- ESPA Picnic, and more.